Acanya is used once-daily and comes in
a ready-to-use pump
Acanya is applied once a day to the face and gently rubbed into the skin. The gel quickly becomes invisible. To use Acanya, simply:
- Wash your face gently with a mild soap, rinse with warm water, and pat your skin dry.
- Use the pump to dispense one pea-sized amount of Acanya onto your fingertip. This should be enough to cover your entire face.
- Dot the one pea-sized amount of Acanya onto six areas of your face (chin, left cheek, right cheek, nose, left forehead, right forehead). Spread the gel over your whole face and gently rub it in.
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
If your doctor tells you to put Acanya on other areas of your skin with acne, ask how much you should use. Do not get Acanya in your mouth, eyes, or nose, or on your lips. If this occurs, rinse with warm water and call your doctor right away if the area becomes very red, itchy, tender, or swollen. Do not get Acanya on cuts or open wounds or use more than prescribed. Your doctor will tell you how long to use Acanya.
Things to avoid while on Acanya
- Limit your time in sunlight. Avoid using tanning beds or sun lamps. If you have to be in sunlight, wear a wide-brimmed hat or other protective clothing, and a sunscreen with SPF 15 rating or higher. Your doctor can give you more information about why this is important.
- Do not wash your face more than 2 to 3 times a day. Washing your face too often or scrubbing it may make your acne worse.
- Avoid getting Acanya in your hair or on colored fabric. Acanya may bleach hair or colored fabric.
What are possible side effects
Acanya can cause serious side effects including:
- Inflammation of the colon (colitis). Stop using Acanya and call your doctor right away if you have severe watery diarrhea, or bloody diarrhea.
- Allergic reactions. Stop using Acanya, call your doctor and get help right away if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Severe itching
- Swelling of your face, eyes, lips, tongue or throat
- Trouble breathing
Common side effects with Acanya include:
- Skin irritation. Stop using Acanya and call your doctor if you have a skin rash or your skin becomes very red, itchy or swollen.